Creamy White Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I use canned)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (I use fresh garlic cloves)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies (I use a little more-I like it spicier!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (lil more of this too...)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- **I also add in 2 or so cups of frozen corn.**
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Yield: 7 servings.
You can make it 'crockpot friendly' by sautéing the onions and the garlic cloves (not the chicken, it's already cooked if you're like me and using canned) and then add all the remaining ingredients minus the heavy cream and the sour cream. Put it in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours. Then it's ready when you get home!
Do you guys have any good ideas or recipes so that I can use up some canned chicken? :)